Grape Toxicity Dogs

GRAPES ARE TOXIC TO DOGS!! And, so are raisins and currants. ⁣

While grapes are a healthy and tasty snack for us, they can cause kidney failure in dogs!⁣

🍇 𝗔𝗻𝘆 𝗲𝘅𝗽𝗼𝘀𝘂𝗿𝗲 𝗰𝗮𝗻 𝘀𝗵𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗯𝗲 𝗮 𝗰𝗮𝘂𝘀𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗽𝗼𝘁𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗮𝗹 𝗰𝗼𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿𝗻. The toxic dose is variable dog to dog. Toxicity can range from over a pound of grapes ingested to as little as a single serving of raisins.⁣

🍇 Grape jellies, grape juice, and wine to not appear to cause a toxicity. ⁣

🍇 It is speculated that the presence of 𝘁𝗮𝗿𝘁𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗰 𝗮𝗰𝗶𝗱 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝗿𝘂𝗶𝘁𝘀 may be responsible for damage to the kidneys. But, further research needs to be done. ⁣

🍇 Symptoms can appear anywhere from 24 hours to several days after ingestion. ⁣

🍇 Early signs include vomiting, inappetence, lethargy, and possible diarrhea. ⁣

🍇 Later symptoms may signify signs of acute kidney failure like nausea/vomiting, lethargy, inappetence, abdominal pain, excessive thirst, excessive urination and/or inability to produce urine.⁣

🍇 The best treatment is to 𝗶𝗻𝗱𝘂𝗰𝗲 𝘃𝗼𝗺𝗶𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 at a vet clinic within 2-3 hours of ingestion to decrease the chance of toxin absorption. ⁣

🍇 The treatment goal is to 𝗽𝗿𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝗮𝗯𝘀𝗼𝗿𝗽𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗼𝘅𝗶𝗻𝘀 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗺𝗶𝗻𝗶𝗺𝗶𝘇𝗲 𝗱𝗮𝗺𝗮𝗴𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗸𝗶𝗱𝗻𝗲𝘆𝘀 with IV fluids and medication to manage clinical signs and maintain blood flow to the kidneys. ⁣

𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙠𝙞𝙙𝙣𝙚𝙮𝙨 𝙝𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙡𝙞𝙩𝙩𝙡𝙚 𝙖𝙗𝙞𝙡𝙞𝙩𝙮 𝙩𝙤 𝙧𝙚𝙥𝙖𝙞𝙧 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙢𝙨𝙚𝙡𝙫𝙚𝙨 𝙤𝙣𝙘𝙚 𝙙𝙖𝙢𝙖𝙜𝙚𝙙, 𝙨𝙤 𝙗𝙧𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙥𝙚𝙩 𝙩𝙤 𝙖 𝙫𝙚𝙩 𝘼𝙎𝘼𝙋 𝙞𝙛 𝙜𝙧𝙖𝙥𝙚 𝙞𝙣𝙜𝙚𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣 𝙞𝙨 𝙨𝙪𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙘𝙩𝙚𝙙. ⁣

1 view0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Coprophagia: the eating of feces! This can be a common behavioral complaint that I get from pet parents. Unlike rabbits, which need to eat their own feces (cecotropes) to extract all the nutrients the